After following a couple recipes last week, I decided to create my own mason jar salad that combined some of my favorite ingredients. I followed the recommendations for layering, and these turned out great!
These combine italian dressing with feta, pasta, and chicken. They are DELICIOUS in my humble opinion. I love having everything in one container, and I especially love making them up on the weekend and having lunch for the whole week! A friend and I made two different kinds and swapped so we wouldn’t get bored eating the same salad every day. 😀 The full recipe is below.
- 3 Tbsp fat free Italian dressing
- 1.5 oz shredded carrots
- 4 slices cucumber, quartered
- 6 to 8 grape tomatoes
- ½ cup fat free feta
- 3 oz cooked chicken
- 1 oz whole wheat rotini, cooked
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain well and blot dry before using. You don't want any moisture on your pasta when you put it in the jar.
- Put dressing in the bottom of the jar, being careful not to splash it up the sides of the jar.
- Add ingredients in THIS ORDER: shredded carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, chicken, pasta.
- Add the lettuce to the jar on top of the pasta. You may have to push it down in order to fit it all in the jar!
- Open jar and carefully pour the lettuce into a large serving bowl.
- Replace the lid on the jar and shake well to coat the other ingredients with the dressing.
- Open the jar again and empty jar onto the bed of lettuce.
Save time by making multiple salads at once!!
I use 1.5 oz of shredded carrots per salad because I buy a 10 oz bag. This allows me to get 6 salads out of one bag of carrots. If you are shredding your own, you can use whatever amount feels like enough for your tastes!